Children will adore helping to make these pretty Valentine Cupcakes,
perfect for a loved up family treat,
… and SURPRISE… their hidden colours inside make them that bit more special!
How To Make Valentine Cupcakes
(Makes 12 large Valentine Cupcakes)
For The Sponge
3 large eggs
160g self-raising flour
2 tablespoons coloured sprinkles tossed in a spoonful of flour.
For The Butter Icing Topping
100g softened butter
200g icing sugar
Few drops red food colouring
A selection of coloured sugar pastes and heart cutters (bright sprinkles would be just as pretty)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in each egg, one at a time, with a spoonful of the flour to prevent curdling.
- Gently fold in the rest of the flour to make a smooth thick batter.
- Toss your sprinkles into the spoonful of flour to lightly coat them (this helps prevent the colours bleeding away whilst cooking) and stir into the sponge mix.
- Spoon into 12 large cupcake cases (We use muffin cases) and bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes until risen, firm to the touch and lightly golden.
- While your cakes are cooking and cooling prepare your topping. Roll the sugar paste thinly between 2 sheets of grease-proof paper and cut into your desired shapes (we used 3 different sized heart cutters), and set to one side.
- Beat the softened butter and icing sugar together to make a thick paste. Add your food colouring and mix in evenly. (We used just a couple of drops of red food colouring to give a pretty peachy colour when mixed with the yellow butter icing.)
- When the cakes are cold, pipe or spread the butter icing onto the top and add your sugar paste hearts or sprinkles.
- Now sit down with the family and share the love! Yummy!
(We used lovely sugar pastes that we won from Sugar and Crumbs. You can read more about them here.)
This post was featured in BritMums February Foodie Round-Up
The MADS (Mum and Dad Bloggers awards) have started. If you’ve enjoyed my blog I would love it if you could spare 2 minutes to add to my nominations for Best Craft or Best New Blog.
Those blogs with the most nominations go through to the next round!
You can click on the badge below to be taken straight to the nomination form.
Thanks so much, I’ll keep you posted…
2012-2013 © My Little 3 and Me