We’ve been chopping up the milk bottles again…and it’s so lovely to make something beautiful using something you were going to throw away. I love the way that recycled crafts help my children understand the need to care for the world and look after the environment.
The translucent nature of plastic milk bottles make them perfect for creating these colorful stained glass effect hearts. Hung at a window the light shines through them illuminating the colours. So quick and simple to do, children will love that they’ve created something so beautiful, so easily.
How To Make A Milk Bottle Stained Glass Effect Valentine Heart
You will need
One 4 pint plastic milk bottle
Pair of scissors
Ribbon or thread for hanging
- Cut out the large flat rectangular side of the milk bottle.
- Draw on your heart shape and cut out.
- Use the hole punch to cut a hole for threading.
- Tear the tissue paper into little pieces.
- Cover one side of the heart thickly with glue.
- Stick on the tissue paper and set aside to dry.
- Once fully dry trim around the edges.
- Thread with ribbon and hang in the window.
This is such a simple and adaptable idea. Once children have had a first supported go why not let them come up with their own shape ideas and experiment with different coverings, perhaps paint or felt tips, fabric or buttons.
You might like to have a look at our pretty Jewelled Valentine Heart Sun Catchers too. Another simple idea for children to enjoy.
We hope you have a lot of fun.
This activity supports: Expressive Arts and Design: in the EYFS Early Learning Goals.
2012-2013 © My Little 3 and Me