We love that it’s made from old plastic milk bottles that have simply been washed, cut and painted. The clouds have been left unpainted as the plain plastic is just perfect for them as it is. The mobile looks great hanging in a window as the light shines through the pieces, very pretty.
How To Make A Rainbow Mobile From Old Plastic Milk Bottles
(This post contains affiliate links. Every time you buy through these links we get a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support.)
You will need
- 2 four pint plastic milk bottles, washed and dry
- Acrylic paint in rainbow colours UK / US
- Cotton thread
- Sticky Tape
- Starting at the top of your bottle simply cut down the bottle with strong scissors to remove the flat side panels that you will use to make your shapes.
- Print out the printable template and lay your transparent plastic panels on top to trace the required shapes, with pencil, onto the plastic panels. Trace the large rainbow and clouds first and then fit the raindrops into the little gaps left.
- Cut out the shapes with scissors and paint with what ever colours you choose. We painted both sides of our shapes allowing one side to dry before painting the other.
- When your shapes are completely dry cut the thread to the desired length and tape into place. If you have more patience than us you could use a needle and thread and sew and knot them into place.
- Hang it up for all to see. We love ours hanging in the window.
- Add tiers to your mobile by making additional rainbow, cloud and raindrop sets and joining them to the first.
- Print out the template onto white cardboard and cut out and colour with pen instead of paint.
If you’re looking for more painting ideas for children why not follow my Pinterest board dedicated to just that!
I’d love you to come and say ‘Hello’ to My Little 3 and Me on Facebook, Pinterest, G+ and Twitter, and click Subscribe to receive our posts straight to your email so you never miss out on the fun.
2012-2014 © My Little 3 and Me