These Mother’s Day Doughnut Love Muffins are week 10 of my New Year’s Resolution for 2013 to cook at least one new thing every week, for the year.
For Mother’s Day this year my children are really keen to bake something on their own! When asked what they fancy baking they suggested jam doughnuts which are a favourite. I’m too worried about the hot fat so came up with these Mother’s Day Doughnut Muffins instead. They’re as close to doughnuts as I can get with a jam filled middle and a sugared top. Yummy.
I wanted a recipe that would be really easy for the children to do themselves in just one bowl. Muffins seemed the perfect choice as they don’t require too much careful mixing. I wasn’t sure if the jam would stay in the middle but can safely say it was really successful and I think the children will manage to follow this recipe easily on their own. I’ll supervise them with the hot oven but the rest they’ll be able to do themselves.
They’ve already made their decorative cake toppers which I pinched for the photo. Super easy, super tasty, perfect for all those super Mummies and Grandmas.
How To Make Doughnut Muffins
(Makes 12 Large Muffins)
- 150g melted butter
- 250ml milk
- 2 large eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 375g self raising flour
- 12 teaspoons of jam
- knob or butter (for the topping)
- few teaspoons of sugar (for the topping)
- 12 large muffin cases
- Preheat the oven 180C.
- Put your melted butter, milk, eggs and sugar into a large bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the flour. to make a very thick batter. (It’s OK for it to be a bit lumpy.)
- Fill each muffin case about a third of the way up.
- Put a teaspoon of jam into each muffin case on top of the batter.
- Top up the muffin cases with the rest of the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen, firm and golden brown.
- When cold, melt the knob of butter and brush onto the muffin tops to act like glue and sprinkle with sugar.
For The Cake Toppers
- Cocktail sticks
- Sticky Tape
- Draw and cut out your desired shape from cardboard. We chose red hearts of different sizes.
- Write your messages on your shapes.
- Secure the cocktail sticks to your shapes with sticky tape.
2012-2013 © My Little 3 and Me